Re: Etch experiences

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 03:19 -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Jun 22 2005, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> > Thanks for the replies, Peter and Rogério.
>
> You're welcome, Hans.
>
> > It's a P-III 1ghz, 256MB ram, so I don't want to loaded with a too heavy
> > distro...
>
> Your notebook seems to be as powerful as my desktop and that's because I
> upgraded its processor in the past weeks: it used to have a Duron 600MHz
> and now I have upgraded to a Duron 1100MHz, with 256MB of PC133 RAM
Rogério, a 1100mhz Duron will comfortably outperform the 1Ghz P-III
desktop, and from what I hear the mobile P-III isn't quite as powerful
as the desktop counterpart (coppermine, the tualatin is more powerful
too).  My previous machine at work was a 1ghz P-III, which was a lovely
machine until lightning got the better of it for about the fourth time.
This chip was running on a very nice Intel chipset based motherboard,
with PC133 ram.  My colleague had a cheapo crappy board with SiS chipset
and a 900mhz Duron (spitfire core).  In every cpu intensive task we
tested (encoding video/audio, seti, ect) the duron easily outperformed
the P-III - I guess the extra L1 cache helps a lot.

Anyway, I've seen over and over that a slow-ish CPU with enough memory
and a fast disc won't keep you waiting for much if you don't use CPU
intensive software.

> (unfortunately running only at PC100 speed, as I have to underclock it to
> run it stably).
Dodgy memory?

> I don't run any Desktop Environment. Just fluxbox (which I highly recommend
> with the "Minimal" style, as it is a low resource style) and some dock
> applications.
I have gotten so used to KDE and the way it works, I don't really see
myself using anything else.  Every now and then I dive head-first into
XFCE or IceWM or something similar, but what always gets me is how long
it takes to start KDE or Gnome apps from there, and once I have, say
Evolution and Knode open, I could just as well have been using KDE to
start with...

Thanks
--
Kind Regards