Re: [OT] Re: Top posting (a different point of view)

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:41:02AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

> Kent West wrote:
> > I'm in America (USA to be specific), and I avoid math whenever I can.
> > It's calculators for me, whenever possible.  :-)
>
>     Is it bad of me that I avoid calculators whenever possible and instead go
> for a Python prompt?  :D

What's wrong with bc? One of the things that first impressed me about
Linux was that bc could calculate 2^(2^22) and the Windows calculator
couldn't.

I think, btw, that "maths" is used throughout the British
Commonwealth, and that mathematics used to be a singular noun more
often than not but is now usually plural. Likewise politics, economics
and similar words. I wonder if this has something to do with the fact
that Greek and Latin neuter plurals (such as "mathematica") regularly
take a singular verb?

--
PJR :-)