Firefox / Profile

I have been using Firefox on my laptop fine ever since I installed Sarge
on it about 3 weeks ago.  But now, for some reason, when I launch it, it
asks me to pick a profile.  There is only one profile there...
"default".  When I click on default, I get the message:

Firefox cannot use the profile "default" because it is in use.

Please choose another profile or create a new one.

I went
here:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mozilla_Suite_:_Issues_:_Profile_in_Use,
but I was unable to locate the "lock" file in order to delete it.  Where
is this file?  How do I get Firefox working again.  I don't want to have
to create another profile.