Re: hplip and its "toolbox"

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 03:32:46PM -0700, Paul Yeatman wrote:
> I tried installing the then unstable version of hplip (the now testing
> version).  Still no go so may have to just file a bug report as
> suggested.  Maybe you meant installing the unstable versions of other
> related packages such as hpijs, foomatic, etc, which I haven't
> done.

Just install the sarge versions of all of them, now :)

[...]

> I don't care about the remote printers (socket:,ipp:) but I don't
> see why it can't find the locally attached usb printer,
> usb://3845?serial=TH46T120QG040R.

Please run hp-makeuri or hp-probe and use the URI it will generate for
your printer.  It will start with hp://. Use that in CUPS.

HPLIP works only with hp:// URIs.  hp:// URIs can refer to USB or
network devices.

This is all explained in /usr/share/doc/hplip/README.Debian, and
/usr/share/doc/hplip/hplip_readme.html...