Re: apt-get dist-upgrade gave me emacs

David Jardine wrote:
I woke up this morning to find that apt-get dist-upgrade, which had been running since the night before, was downloading emacs packages.

 - I've never had emacs on this machine.
HearHear, Snap!

 - A subsequent "dpkg -l" showed no sign of emacs.
Cool Bananas,

 - There are emacs debs now in /var/cache/apt/archives.
# rm -r ^H^H^H^H^H^H
Now now, let's not get hasty; I suppose they could stay there for a couple more minutes, as long as they behave themselves...

So it was downloaded because something erroneously thought it was wanted, but it was not installed because something rightly knew it wasn't wanted.
Succinctly put.

I suggest:
something1 = apt, d/l'ing Recommended packages too, maybe.
something2 = your positive (although perhaps unwitting...) choice.

I further venture that what you are seeing is "default" bahaviour.

I reckon there's no harm done, [that's the whole idea.]

Your journey on the upgrade path has been made all the swifter by having those dastardly dreaded "Eight[y]MegabytesAndConstantlySwapping" .debs readily at hand, <joke>for when you actually install them.</joke>

Can someone explain this to me?
Is it clearer now?
If not, you'll have to read up the relevant information. ("RTFM").
Maybe start with;
man aptitude ; man apt-get
Google's your friend, as is www.debian.org

I'll leave upgrade documentation [!] as a goal for you to seek.
Good Luck, [but you probably don't need it.]

David