Re: [newbie] Cannot login as root (not a passwd issue)

On Friday 10 June 2005 05:03 pm, Fernando Cacciola wrote:
> *snip*
> The first thing that shocked me was that I couldn't make a directory via
> Konqueror except inside my home dir (is hard to "undumb" oneself from a
> MS universe ;).
> But OK, I suppose you just don't use Konqueror to do that :-)
> Also, it took me some time to get used to "sudo" pretty much any scrpit
> (as they normally do something that require root privileges); but that's
> OK too.
> So OK, I'll repeat to myself "I don't ever need to login as root, ever" :-)
>*snip*
Sometimes it's definitely nicer to use a graphical file manager, even working
outside of your home directory. You can use sudo for this as well, not just
for calling programs. "sudo konqueror" works just the same as "sudo cp" or
"sudo apt-get install ..." -- your local KDE preferences will even be
retained. Just make sure that you remember which konqueror window has root
powers :- )

--
Ryan Schultz
-> floating point exception: divide by cucumber