Re: Strange Kern.log Message And I'm having Trouble On both Woody And Sarge

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 12:03:37AM +0000, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> The ttys on sarge have a dark screen, the
> mouse pointer is active(gpm active),
> I can hold the left mouse botton down and scroll the screen with a
> greyish granulated background being uncovered,
> there is a blinking ,dash or underscore, character like a prompt that
> randomly jumps around the screen, but no typing shows on the screen
> anywhere.
> On woody bootup, bootmessages start and proceed for a while but degrade
> to a multicolored pixelated lines across the screen that scrool as if
> the boot messages were being printed and I never see the GUI login
> screen, sometimes getting a can't start X message.  I have reconfigured
> xserver-xfree86, but still no ttys on either kernel bootup and no X on
> woody.  Lucky for me, I can still use sarge's X and KDE.

I would remove gpm as well, but it does sound like a framebuffer
issue. You mentioned you removed the framebuffer driver, but might
there be some vesa or framebuffer stuff compiled into your kernel?

Is it a stock kernel? check the config file in /boot.

boot up an installation cd, anything, woodys, ubuntu whatever you have
to make sure the video card or monitor isnt broken.

Look at dmesg very carefully and post back anything suspicious that
relates to framebuffer.

If you compilied the kernel yourself, attach the config perhaps and
someone might know whats going on.

> My 2 posts: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2005/06/msg00336.html and
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2005/06/msg00343.html describe my
> situation and were not resolved.

Yeah, I had wondered if you gotten this fixed, like I mentioned
above, try booting another os off the cdrom simply to rule out bad hardware.

good luck!

--
Angelina Carlton