Re: Posted Three Times - Thanks

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 09:41:13AM +0200, Aurélien Campéas wrote:
> Le mercredi 01 juin 2005 à 23:21 +0200, Jochen Schulz a écrit :
> > Thomas H. George:
> > >
> > > The problem: Every time I must shut down the system it locks up when it
> > > tries to disconnect my Sony  USB dvdrw drive.
> > >
> > > The Postings:  May 17 - USB dvdrw mount point Woes
> > >                        May 22 - kernel-2.6.8  USB problem
> > >                        May 31 - Oops when Sony USB dvdrw disconnected.
> > >
> > > As noted in these postings I am using  2.6.8 kernel  complied from the
> > > latest kernal-source-2.6.8 (so recompiled yesterday after a apt-get
> > > dist-upgrade).
> >
> > If I were you I'd get the most recent kernel source from kernel.org and
> > compile that. You can treat them exactly the same way as the tar.bz
> > files from the Debian source packages.
>
> Or the latest 2.6.11 kernel from sid (a lot less work).

Thanks.  A good idea and it worked.  I had never considered downloading
anything from Sid but checking the Debian web page I found Sarge already
had all of the required support packages so I downloaded the gzipped
kernel-source-2.6.8.  Running make oldconfig and make menuconfig
revealed additional support for usb devices and the compile went smooth
as silk.  I had to suffer one more system hang shutting down from the
2.6.8 kernel but then booting and shutting down with the 2.6.11 kernel
worked flawlessly.

Thanks again and that goes for all the replies.  I was feeling lonely
until I received these responses.

Tom George

P.S.  This is the third time I have tried to reply with mutt.  The first
two attempts resulted in a child process failure and were postponed.  I
don't know how to recover them but if I find them before they are sent I
will delete them.  I believe I know what went wrong and if I am correct
this message will be posted.