Re: Display/resolution problems

According to Trevor Pankonien,
> I just switched over from Ubuntu since debian has no problem working
> with my MP3 player, but now i have a new problem. The display on my
> laptop is sitting inside a black box/border, makeing approx half of my
> screen just black. I have a Sony Vaio PCG-FRV26 notebook, which comes
> with the ATI mobility 345 video card. anyone run into a similar
> problem or anyone have any ideas that they think i might want to try?
> My monitor usually runs at 1024x768, with a refresh of 60Hz, at least
> thats what it was in Windoze. I set that during the initial install,
> but now on boot it only has options for 800x600 and whatever the one
> below that is (which makes my screen totally unreadable, with lines
> blasting back and forth across the screen) Ubuntu by default came up
> with the right settings, so i have never had this problem in the past.
> If i remember correctly suse didnt have a problem either..i would like
> to stay with debian if possible. But the monitor issue will have to be
> resolved. I did a slight amout of tinkering with
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, but from fear of doin too much damage without
> knowing what i was doing i stopped. THanks for NE help in advance.

There are a number of ways to get your XF86Config-4 to be
set to your preferred resolution (which on a laptop will
typically be the actual resolution of your screen).

Do you know what that is?

If it's 1024x768, you'd probably want your Modes lines to be
something like...

                Modes "1024x768"

If you want to be able to backtrack, you can easily keep the
old line around with a hash mark to make it into a comment,
like so...

                #Modes "800x600" "640x480"

You can see what resolution your monitor is in by typing
'xwininfo -root'.  I think xwininfo is in packages xutils.

-- Tony Godshall