Re: Cannot boot Debian Unstable after shutdown.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 18:28:02 -0400, "Marty" <martyb@ix.netcom.com> said:
> KS wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Today, I booted my dual boot Debian and Windows box to update virus
> > definitions in the Windows partition. After using Windows for about
> > 5min, I shutdown the machine to boot to Debian. After selecting kernel
> > 2.6.11 to boot in, the screen just showed the kernel, bzimage, boot
> > commands and stalled there. Nothing happened after that, just a blinking
> > cursor! (same behaviour for single user and older kernels).
> >
> > Any guesses to the possible problems will be highly appreciated.
>
> There are two standard boot loaders in debian, lilo and grub, and there
> a number of commercial boot loaders available which also can boot debian.

I'm using Grub.

> Each of them can be used in a variety of ways to do single or multi-stage
> OS boots, and each method provides different possible points of failure,
> and each boot loader gives different diagnostic signals or hints when it
> fails.

As I said above, it stops after the kernel, bzimage, and boot commands.
It never reaches the kernel! And no error messages are displayed :(

> If the kernel loads but fails during the init process, then that's a
> completely different problem.  Your description does not match that.

It doesn't even start the kernel loading stage. It is as if Grub is
there, but no Linux installation! I feel a bit handicapped as I can't
even copy the text that I see after I hit [Enter] to boot from Grub.

Thanks
/KS
--
  KS