Re: Surprise upgrading Debian packages!

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 08:02:04PM +0200, Ionut Georgescu wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 10:12:28AM -0700, nuno romano wrote:
> > I have a background with several Linux
> > distributions,and when I want to upgrade
> > one package,I download the source package
> > (or binary,if compatible) through a web
> > browser html/ftp interface in a mirror.
> > I see all packages listed and I pick what
> > I want.Now,I have Debian and when I want
> > to download in a Debian mirror I see 3
> > files Packages.gz(MD5SUMS),Release,
> > Release.gpg.
> > So,the only way to download packages is
> > through apt-get?Or is there one way of
> > downloading packages using a standard
> > web browser?
> >
> >                Thanks.
> >

> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

Please do not download packages from the web and install them manually.
Especially if the packages are already a part of Debian.  This is asking
for trouble.  Use a proper package manager, suchas aptitude or synaptic.
The only time you should be downloading sources and/or random packages
is:

1) The Debian package has some incompatibility or is otherwise not
suitable (consider mailing the maintainer and making a request for a
change to the package).

2) The package does not exist in Debian.  If the program is free
software, please consider filing an RFP (request for package) agains the
wnpp package.  However, be sure to check that the package has not
already been requested [0] and be sure that you follow the guidelines
for submiting a bug [1].

-Roberto

[0] http://www.nl.debian.org/devel/wnpp/requested
[1] http://bugs.debian.org