Re: The dumb things we do to ourselves.

On Thu, 26 May 2005 09:11:59 +0800, Robert wrote in message
<[🔎] 4295225F.0@rfgt.net>:

> Adam Funk wrote:
> > Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> >

> >>Hopefully, someone gets a chuckle out of this.
> >

> > My recent prize-winner was this
> > # ifdown -a
> > over an ssh connection.  Fortunately the computer I was^H^H had been
> > logged into was in the same room as the one I was typing on.
>
> I've done that. I thought I had a terminal of my desktop open but the
> terminal was a remote box...

..in my case it was the bandwidth throttle bridge box, I was on its 3'rd
IP'ed wire, the 2 silent wires were plugged in between the gateway and
the upstream provider and this was my first box for my first wifi based
isp client.  To top it, he ran a one man business and had just arrived
on some resort.   You know, just some wee trivial firewall tweak, so he
could ssh in and do peace-of-mind checks while on vacation.   ;o)

..the eerie silence beyond the first 15 secs and
onwards, told us "Uh, it seems to it work."

..a month later, #2 was booted up, the wires moved over, and the
power cord yanked on the eerie silent one. It now serves as gw
throttle for another of his business clients.  ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: