alsa problem

Hello list,
            As instructed I am starting a new thread. I saw the previous posts regarding alsa and did this
apt-get install alsa alsamixer alsamixergui
This went fine. I did modconf and loaded the ac97 and ac97_codec modules. But still it is not working. On trying to use alsamixer it says -
shatam@ginie:~$ alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

Similar is the output for xmms -
shatam@ginie:~$ xmms
libmikmod.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): No such device
Any clues ??
Thanks
Bbye

Shatam Bhattacharya