Re: poor font rendering in white-over-black (eg Mutt)

It is not a bug at all. Antialiased white text on black looks bad.
Period. Use a bitmap font. Fontconfig can also use bitmap fonts. Can you
choose 'Fixed' in the font selection dialog in Gnome?

If not,
apt-get install xfonts-base xfonts-base-transcoded
and
dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig
where you have to enabled bitmap fonts.

I also sent my fontconfig configuration in a previous email, where I
disabled antialiasing for font sizes between 7 and 15 pixels.

Ionut

--
* Ionuţ Georgescu