New disc kicks out CD-ROM support

After installing a new disc as hdd (slave on the second IDE-adapter),
my CD-ROM won't work after Debian have booted. It works fine in BIOS
and it boots fine from the CD as well, but trying to mount /dev/hdc
after booting Debian fails. dmesg doesn't contain the words hdc at all,
but if I remove the new disc and boots, everything works just fine. I'm
running Debian Sarge with 2.6.8-kernel, and upon installing I had two
discs on the primary IDE and only the CD-ROM as master on the secondary
IDE.

It seems like my Debian installation only accepts one unit on the
secondary IDE... Any suggestions to what the error might be?