wireless pcmcia works/doesn't work

I just got my wireless pcmcia wireless card working, sort of.

It's a jaht wn-4054p, it works with the prism54 module, with a firmware
update from prism54.org

With out wep, I can connect with the Linksys wrt54g wifi router, and
onto the internet, fine and dandy.

Once I try to get wep working, with this in the eth0 stanza;

iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.104
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.1

Now when I try to add the wireless info below, I cannot connect;

wireless-essid blahblahblah
wireless-key 1234567890

I cannot get connected. I've double checked the essid & wifi key (I
have them printed out so I'm entering them correctly).

Any pointers, and/or online docs?

Thanks

--
Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers@MtPalomar.net>