Re: /etc/modules comment is wrong

On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 03:25:21AM +0200, Jacobo221 wrote:
> In Debian Sarge, in /etc/modules out-of-the-box, the comments say that nything after '#' is ingored. But this is wrong. Only lines which BEGIN with '#' are ignored. This should be changed.

Hmm.  'Comments begin with a "#", and everything on the line after
them are ignored', says mine.

Most people know the principle and understand what is meant, but if
you're coming across this for the first time, the statement, apart
from being ungrammatical, could easily be interpreted as meaning that
the line following a comment is ignored.

'Everything up to the end of the line is ignored,' would be clearer.

> Since /etc/modules appears to not be placed by any package but instead dynamically created, I wonder where should I file this "bug".

I've never had the courage to file a bug and wouldn't know where to
start, but I'm sure someone else on the list can explain.

> Therefore, I leave here the report, and hope it reaches the right people.

There's no harm in hoping, I suppose, but it won't achieve anything :).

Cheers,
David

--
David Jardine

"Running Debian GNU/Linux and
loving every minute of it."  -L. von Sacher-M.(1835-1895)