Re: how to change hostname

On Friday 20 May 2005 08:49, Urs Thuermann wrote:
> What is the debain way to change to hostname of a system.  Only
> editing /etc/hostname is not sufficient, because there are other
> places where the hostname is stored, e.g. /etc/hosts, /etc/mailname,
> etc.

I *think* the hostname command will set /etc/hostname for you, as well as
forcing the running system to update its own idea of what the hostname is.

For /etc/mailname, dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config should do it.

As for /etc/hosts, I think your options are either to edit it manually, or use
some dynamic system like DNS.  However, base-config *might* help.

--
Lee.

Please send replies to the list, not to my email address.