Re: PASSWORD FOR DEBIAN CD TO INSTALL APLYCATIONS

On Wednesday 18 May 2005 11:28, Lee Braiden wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 May 2005 10:08, M.Schweizer wrote:
> > how i get Passwort to Install a Linux Aplication
>
> In KDE, go to the menu.  Then choose System->More Applications->Terminal
> Program (super user mode).  That will ask you for a password, then give you
> a "root shell", which has permission to install software.

Oh,  I meant to say:

If you're using GNOME, there should be a similar "root terminal" option.  If
not, open a terminal and then type "su -", followed by return.  It will ask
you for a password, then you'll have permission to install software.  If you
want to install things that need a GUI, you'll have to do this next:

export DISPLAY=:0 XAUTHORITY=~username/.Xauthority

--
Lee.

Please send replies to the list, not to my email address.