Re: Kernel choices

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 07:50:43PM -0600, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> Anyway, I'd be surprised if there were such a package, because it
> seems like most people who want the computer to do it for them will
> just use the stock kernel, and most people who don't mind compiling
> their own kernel probably don't mind playing with the config.  But
> maybe I'm wrong and there's a decently-sized population that wants to
> have their cake and eat it too.

I'd like to toss in a little self-defense here, because
having "the computer ... do it for them" is so un-Debian,
and I'd hate to be thought of as un-Debian. :-)

I think there is a nice little niche in there. We want all
the aesthetic pleasure that you were talking about, so we
want a trim kernel. But every time we get a new machine (not
that I buy many of them, by the way -- people give me
castoffs that I throw together into Apache servers), we
don't want to have to go through a really laborious
configure-compile-reboot-see-that-it-didn't-boot-properly-try-again
loop. Especially not when the hardware that we're running on
is so old. I'd like *some* of this process to be automated.
But maybe that's just me.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org