Re: ssh.com on debian woody/i386

On 2005-04-27, J.A. de Vries penned:

> No offence taken. Like I said RMS is a bit on the fanatical side
> with this issue. I tend to be a bit more pragmatic. However I have
> seen enough hairy situations with licences to feel that he does have
> a point.

Amen.  Licensing isn't such a big deal when you're a single home user,
but when you're talking about a group of people using a tool for
commercial purposes, it gets really nasty.

Words are inadequate to express the level of frustration I've
experienced dealing with licensing issues in the corporate
environment.  It seems to me that it's precisely these situations that
would benefit most from a no-nonsense license that allows users to
look under the hood and fix what's broken (or adjust what doesn't work
for them), and yet the level of resistance one encounters when
suggesting a non-commercial solution ... it's just infuriating.

--
monique

Ask smart questions, get good answers: