Re: nvidia not working after dist-upgrade.

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 11:27:31AM +0000, Frank Copeland wrote:
> On 27 Apr 05 12:35:05 GMT, Vegard|drageV <vegardlr@gmail.com> wrote:
> > After doing  a dist-upgrade nvidia kernel module was upgraded, and X
> > won't start at boot. I use kdm. Running '/etc/init.d/kdm start' gave
> > no errormessages, but startx did:
>
> [...]
>
> >  OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.27-1-386
>
> Consider yourself lucky. There are no nvidia-kernel-2.6* packages so
> I've grown resigned to losing X until I build a new kernel whenever
> nvidia-glx is upgraded. I'm sure there's a way of just rebuilding the
> nvidia-kernel-* packages but it happens infrequently enough that I'm
> upgrading the kernel version anyway half of the time.

Heh.  I'm too lazy for that approach.  I put the packages on hold until
I have the time/inclination to rebuild the kernel (and there aren't too
many people screaming about problems with upgrades ... ;-).

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,