Re: nvidia not working after dist-upgrade. [WAS: Re: Help, X won't start after repartiotion of hdb]

> On 27 Apr 05 12:35:05 GMT, Vegard|drageV <vegardlr@gmail.com> wrote:
> > After doing  a dist-upgrade nvidia kernel module was upgraded, and X
> > won't start at boot. I use kdm. Running '/etc/init.d/kdm start' gave
> > no errormessages, but startx did:
>
> [...]
>
> >  OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.27-1-386
>
> Consider yourself lucky. There are no nvidia-kernel-2.6* packages so
> I've grown resigned to losing X until I build a new kernel whenever
> nvidia-glx is upgraded. I'm sure there's a way of just rebuilding the
> nvidia-kernel-* packages but it happens infrequently enough that I'm
> upgrading the kernel version anyway half of the time.

Frank, Randall Donald maintains unofficial nvidia-kernel-2.6-* packages,
to go with many stock 2.6 kernels.  Add

deb http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia modules-unstable/i386/

to your /etc/apt/sources.list, apt-get update, and apt-cache search
nvidia-kernel-2.6.x.  You may get a pleasant surprise.

See http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html for
more details.