Re: CD ripping suddenly produces garbage

> It's difficult to find possible reasons from what you write. Has anything
> changed since you ripped successfully, e. g. new hardware, new kernel, new
> cdparanoia version?

I did change my kernel from 2.6.7 to 2.6.10, and that's the next thing I'm
going to look at.  In fact I suspect this is the problem, because DVD
reading is now also broken-- I get lots of error messages about unexpected
things happening that sound like the same sort of data corruption.

Audio CDs play just fine, through the analog output.

> Can you play these wav files on another machine (maybe windows), or can
> you play wav's from another machine on yours?

I haven't tried playing those wavs on another machine, although it's worth a
try.  However all of my old sound files (wav, mp3, ogg) play fine on my
Linux host.