Re: concurrent POP3 connections.

On 4/26/05, Franki <franki@htmlfixit.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a debian woody box using postfix and courier pop3 (TLS) that has
> about 80 mailbox's on it.
> Some of the users are complaining that they get errors sometimes when
> trying to check their mail.
>
> I'm wondering if there is some problem I should be looking at, or if
> this is a limitation of having multiple machines connecting to one port
> on a mail server.
>
> If it is the later, what can I do to help with the concurrent connections?
>
> kindest regards
>
> Frank

Hi Frank,

Check /etc/courier/pop3d -- If users are coming from the same IP
address (through a proxy, masquerade, NAT, etc.) chances are courier
is hitting it's limit(s).

The config file has many, MAXPERIP for example, or MAXDAEMONS

The defaults are pretty low for a mid to large-scale production system.

Don't forget to restart the pop3 daemon after changes!

HTH.

--
~ Darryl  ~ smartssa@gmail.com
http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com