Re: ssh.com on debian woody/i386

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 06:25:31PM +0000, J.A. de Vries wrote:
> On 2005-04-26 @ 07:28:36 (week 17) Sean Davis wrote:

> > 4) It's not 700 anything per server - it's free for non-commercial
> > use,
> >    which is how I use it.
>
> Did you visit their site recently? Read the link below [1]. They changed
> their policy [2].

I did not know that. Thank you for pointing it out, looks like I'm sticking
with OpenSSH.

> And our experience with incompatible scp implementations (with ssh1
> disabled) wasn't a happy one either.

True. Converting openssh keys back and forth from ssh.com format can be a
pain also.

> [1] http://www.ssh.com/support/downloads/secureshellwks/non-commercial.html
> [2] RMS might be a little bit on the fanatical side about this, but
>     precisely because of such things I prefer OSS over any commercial
>     software no matter how liberal their license is.

I also prefer OSS, but I am not so foolish to think that there is no
commercial software out there that might be better than it's open-source
cousin. (Not accusing you of being foolish; but I've met some people who
won't touch commercial software for ANY reason)

-Sean