Re: Loading a router using Linux

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 20:26 -0300, Romulo Sousa wrote:
> No. I meant whether it is possible to load Linux instead of the
> proprietary Cisco's OS or not. In other words, becoming Linux as the
> operational system of the router itself.
> I was told about that could be done and now I'm curious to find out a
> way to do that. Even if it should necessary to make changes into the
> kernel.

Possible? I'd think it'd be very similar to loading a new IOS image.
Some of them even use x86 CPUs.

But I'd seriously question whether it's be worth the trouble of the vast
kernel, shell, and driver mods. Or compiler rewrites and system compiles
for a non-x86 CPU.

It'd probably be a whole lot easier to just toss the Cisco router and
replace it with a Linux box.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22linux+routers%22
+&btnG=Search

--