Re: CD ripping suddenly produces garbage

Hi Andrew,

sorry that you are having problems. I have been using my CD drive for years
without any problems.

It's difficult to find possible reasons from what you write. Has anything
changed since you ripped successfully, e. g. new hardware, new kernel, new
cdparanoia version?

Any error messages or unusual output from cdparanoia?

Can you play these wav files on another machine (maybe windows), or can you play
wav's from another machine on yours?

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 08:34:59PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> I haven't ripped any CDs in a month or so.  Now suddenly when I try, it
> seems to complete successfully but every file that comes out is garbage.
> Whether WAV, OGG, or MP3, they all play static.
>
> I've tried to rip several different CDs, some of which I've successfully
> ripped in the past.  No joy.  I get the same result with each of my two CD
> drives, and whether I use k3b, audiocd:/ in konqueror, or cdparanoia to do
> the ripping.
>
> <gripe>
> I am totally fed up and frustrated with CD drives in Linux.  I'm constantly
> having to screw with them to get them to work correctly.  They work for a
> while, then suddenly they won't play right, won't eject, won't rip, won't
> burn.  It's a f****** pain in the ass.
> </gripe>
>
> My old OGG and MP3 files play just fine.  (At least I finally got a stable
> sound system, after years of screwing with it.)
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew.

Regards
--
Joachim Fahnenmüller

Debian Hint #1: You can report a bug in a package with the 'reportbug'
command, which is available in the reportbug package.