firefox, psm, and https sites

I've got firefox 1.0.2 installed on my debian woody box...I can't
connect to any https sites at all...the status bar at the bottom says
Connecting to whatever.site.com and doesn't change. Eventually it times
out.

I read that the mozilla versions require psm...just to try it out, I
installed the mozilla suite and has the same problem with https sites. I
have a windows box on the same subnet that is no problems at all.

Any ideas why I can't connect to https sites?

TIA.