Re: Help Please: Network Down

Pollywog <linux-debian@shadypond.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 24 April 2005 11:49 pm, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> > Don Hayward <don@mote.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Was ssh one of the packages you upgraded?  Perhaps the config file(s)
> > > for ssh and/or sshd were overwritten?  Are your trying to login as
> > > root?  Perhaps allow root login was set to false?
> >
> > I don't believe that sshd was upgraded, but it might have been.  Both
> > machines seem to start sshd without errors, however.  If I access the
> > gateway system directly and dial in with ppp I am still unable to access
> > the net from my desktop box, so the problem is not just with ssh.
>
> What about DNS... are you using your ISP's nameservers or are you using BIND
> on one of your machines?  If you can ping IP addresses on the Internet but
> can't ping a host using its hostname, perhaps your DNS got messed up.
> Something like this happened to me when a package fooled with
> my /etc/resolv.conf file during an upgrade.

I am using my ISP's nameservers.  The 'order' in /etc/hosts.conf is 'hosts, bind'.

As I said previously, I can not get from the desktop to the gateway machine.  Since the Internet is on the OTHER side of the gatewqay, I can not get to it, either.

I need help with getting the correct entries in my routing table.  That should solve my problem, I think.

--
Marc Shapiro