Re: Thesis/Dissertation authoring application

On Monday, 25.04.2005 at 17:40 +0200, Bruno Hertz wrote:

> Dave Ewart <davee@sungate.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Sadly, most journals view anything other than MS Word as alien.
> > I've dealt with many (mainly medical) journals and normally a
> > request to send TeX source is met with "WTF is 'tech'?" ... :-/
>
> Oh dear, I actually didn't know even scientific publishing was
> infested by that crap such widely. Sincere condolences from my part.
> Maybe you actually should switch to Math, one of the apparently few
> save havens of proper reason ? :)

Well, we're in the 'medical statistics' area and some of the more
stats-y journals positively embrace LaTeX, which is good; they are
hugely outweighed by the others though.

/me goes off at a tangent

Thing is, given the typographical errors which appear in first proofs
from the "Send us Word only" journals, it is clear that they *re-type*
the content by hand.  And yet our researchers spend hours formatting
their document etc. - which I've told them on numerous occasions is
completely pointless ...  :-)

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!