Re: Thesis/Dissertation authoring application

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 01:34:05PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Rhys Hardwick wrote:
> >Hey there everyone.
> >
> >I was wondering if anyone knew of a good open-source program for writing
> >Theses, Dissertations, Journal articles, etc.  Open office, AbiWord etc are
[...]
> What you want is LaTeX.  However, it is not a word processor in the
> traditional sense of the word.  It is a typesetting system (LaTeX is
[...]
> Also, if you are a KDE user, the kile package provides an excellent
> environment (or so I have heard).
[...]

That's true - it's excellent, and povides very useful latex
documentation too.  But if you don't KDE, texmaker (on which kile was
based) does almost everything that kile does in a generic X way.  (The
only serious lack I have found in Texmaker, is bracket highlighting -
and I almost always lose or add a brace somewhere :-(    ). See
http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/

--
richard