Re: Help Please: Network Down

On Sunday 24 April 2005 11:49 pm, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Don Hayward <don@mote.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> > > I have been using ssh to connect this way on these boxes for several
> > >months, so I don't see why it should suddenly stop working now, but I
> > >will try it, anyway.
> >
> > Was ssh one of the packages you upgraded?  Perhaps the config file(s)
> > for ssh and/or sshd were overwritten?  Are your trying to login as
> > root?  Perhaps allow root login was set to false?
>
> I don't believe that sshd was upgraded, but it might have been.  Both
> machines seem to start sshd without errors, however.  If I access the
> gateway system directly and dial in with ppp I am still unable to access
> the net from my desktop box, so the problem is not just with ssh.

What about DNS... are you using your ISP's nameservers or are you using BIND
on one of your machines?  If you can ping IP addresses on the Internet but
can't ping a host using its hostname, perhaps your DNS got messed up.
Something like this happened to me when a package fooled with
my /etc/resolv.conf file during an upgrade.

8)