Re: Realy Queer Sound Problem - Reposted

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 05:11:59PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:

> --- "Thomas H. George" <xyz@spininternet.com> wrote:
> > I have reposted this message as the original did not appear in list
> > after 18 hours.
>
> Sure it did.  Patience _is_ a virtue, you know.

The reposting and your reply appeared but the original has never
appeared in my mail.

> > the exception is when a music cd is played from /dev/cdrom (link to
> > hdc).  Then there is no sound.  The programs run and shows that they are
>
> > reading the cd but there is no sound.
>
> The only thing I can suggest is that your CDROM drive on /dev/hdc doesn't
> have an audio cable running from the CD to the audio card.  Most CD
> players (especially in windows) will perform Digitial Audio Extraction as
> an alternative method.  Certainly, 'xmms' can be told to do say, as can
> the console-based cdplayer 'lazy'.

There is an audio cable from the CD to the audio card.  What's more, the
CD was able to play an audio cd with sound with Sarge and ALSA until my
experiment with xcdroast.  That's why I called this a really queer sound
problem.

I have used less /proc/ide/hd?/... to look at capacity, driver, media
and settings for hdc and hdd and have found no differences.