Problem with microphone

Been having issues with getting my microphone to work with a audigy2 card.
I am running kernel 2.6.11.7 and I am using the emu10k1 driver which
works fine with sound.

Anyway I plug the mic in and I can hear it in the speakers which is
fine. However when I try to record sound with something like krec I
hear nothing.

I did a little bit of searching and found out that I need to turn
capture on, however this was not listed anywere in kmix. I also read
that sometimes kmix does not have it and you have to use alsamixer,
thats find except that its not in there either.

Any ideas on where i should go next ?

Cheers,

Caveman