Re: [possibly solved] Re: computer calling out unexpectedly

Incoming from Geoff Thurman:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 09:49:36PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> > s. keeling writes:
> > > Check the config file it wrote.
> >
> > Checking the options file is a good idea, though.  Please post it and the
> > provider file.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by the provider file, John.
> /etc/ppp/resolv/provider has nothing in it, apart from the

That should have your ISP's DNS servers in it.

> /usr/share/ppp/provider.peer has the following last few lines:
..^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That file isn't involved, is it?  See /etc/ppp/peers/provider

> # Makes pppd "dial again" when the connection is lost.
> persist
..^^^^^^^

Read the comment just above it.  I have that in my /etc/ppp/options

> So presumably that 'persist' could be the problem. I need to do some
> grocery shopping now, after which I'm going to check if the computer
> will dial out on its own again, and then comment this persist out and
> see if it goes away, unless anybody says I'm on totally the wrong track.

I see it as a feature.  When it detects the line quality drops
unacceptably, it automatically hangs up and dials again.  I don't have
to do anything.  Just carry on working and assume you're on-line.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -