activatin swap on boot

Hi,
I try to run GNU/Debian on old computer. I have cross installed system
on HD in bether PC, and i have compiled kernel 2.6.11.6. I had problem
with activating swap on booting (could not boot, becouse of this), so to
the begining of the file: /etc/rcS.d/S10checkroot.sh   i added line:
swapon /dev/hda2
Now it's booting fine. But i don't think, this is a clean solution,
becouse there is anyway a line:
.... spapon -a .....
in this script, which switch on swap partition found in /etc/fstab.
I have no idea, how to make it the clean way. Do somebody know?
Thanks
   Dexter