Re: Intel servers: Debian support? (spec. RAID controllers)

On Friday, 22.04.2005 at 11:46 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Dave Ewart wrote:
> > Does anyone have this working successfully under Debian?  I guess
> > I'm gonna be putting Sarge on them, really.
>
> Very sucessfully with kernel 2.4, *BUT* you *will* need to compile a
> custom kernel.  I don't know about 2.6, but chances are very high that
> it will work perfectly.
>
> > My concern specifically relates to the RAID controllers: the systems
> > I'm looking at have an Intel SRCS16 card and the specifications for
> > that
>
> All Intel RAID controllers are supported equally well (they all look
> the same for the kernel), but you *will* need to compile a kernel with
> it builtin for booting the system, I guess.

Thanks for your reply, Henrique: very helpful and reassuring, but it
raises some questions ...

Which kernel modules do these controllers use?  Compiling a new kernel
is not a problem.  What about *installing* though, if the installation
CD doesn't support the controller?

> You will also need the linux version of intel's storage control
> program. It is available on their site.
>
> Also, these servers have a LOT of firmware, so make sure to update all
> firmware and the BIOS first of all, then use the Intel CD to setup the
> system as if it would be an windows one, (so as to init the firmware
> and configure it). Doing that using the ipmitools from scratch is
> daunting at best.

Do you mean you have to install Windows in order to do the firmware/BIOS
setup?

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!