Re: Intel servers: Debian support? (spec. RAID controllers)

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Dave Ewart wrote:
> Does anyone have this working successfully under Debian?  I guess I'm
> gonna be putting Sarge on them, really.

Very sucessfully with kernel 2.4, *BUT* you *will* need to compile a custom
kernel.  I don't know about 2.6, but chances are very high that it will work
perfectly.

> My concern specifically relates to the RAID controllers: the systems I'm
> looking at have an Intel SRCS16 card and the specifications for that

All Intel RAID controllers are supported equally well (they all look the
same for the kernel), but you *will* need to compile a kernel with it
builtin for booting the system, I guess.

You will also need the linux version of intel's storage control program. It
is available on their site.

Also, these servers have a LOT of firmware, so make sure to update all
firmware and the BIOS first of all, then use the Intel CD to setup the
system as if it would be an windows one, (so as to init the firmware and
configure it). Doing that using the ipmitools from scratch is daunting at
best.

  Henrique Holschuh