Re: IRC is not a registered protocol

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 08:31:11PM -0700, Steven Anderson wrote:
> Dear Debian Users:
>
> Anyone know how i make the association between mozilla
> or firefox and IRC ctcp links? I was trying to
> download knoppix from IRC and it failed do to an
> inability to click on the link and having it
> automatically launch X-chat.

When you see and irc link on a webpage, like irc.freenode.org
it usually an informative type of link that you then direct to xchat,
irssi or whatever your client is.

Generally you wouldn't launch your client from the web browser, just
copy the link, and insert it in to the xchat server list, or from the
commandline do: xchat irc.freenode.net

As for downloading an Knoppix iso using the irc protocol, this is not
a good idea. Use a web browser or even better wget.

http://www.knoppix.net/get.php is a good place to start looking for
something to download.

If I have misread you, and all you want is xchat to launch when you
click on an irc link in mozilla/ff then I *think* you can set it in
prefrences>downloads>filetypes

--
Angelina Carlton