Re: Backup Scripts - can o worms

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Tom Allison wrote:

> OK, I've been examining the various packages available to me for data
> backup and I was wondering if anyone might have used something like:
>
> bacula
> backupninja
> backup21
> backup-manager

to order to pick and use the "right backup scripts" :

	- you'd need to know where you are backing up into
	- how often you want to do backups
	- how big is your data to be backed up
	- how you intend to recover data from backups
	- how critical is the data if "backups failed" yesterday
	for any number of dozen reasons
	- how long do you want to retain your backups

	- if you find a cracker in your box, how far back are
	you willing to let the sleeping cracker be in the box

	if you wiped out last weeks backup with today's backup
	you will no longer have a "clean backup"

	- what happens to your bakcup strategy when your
	"full backup failed"

	- if the machine died, how long can you be down,
	while you [try to] recover from backups
		- you will not always to receover every new file
		if you're not careful

	- if you like webgui stuff or not
	- if you want/need to backup windoze or not
	- ...

- "find | tar" meets all of the above requirements for me
	since i can control everything with those 2 commands

- not all backups apps does all of the above

- rest of the free backup scripts to various media with various
  methodology

	http://Linux-Backup.net/App

c ya
alvin