Re: deleting FAT partition and enlarging reiserfs

Pollywog wrote:
On Thursday 31 March 2005 04:30 am, Pollywog wrote:

On Thursday 31 March 2005 03:46 am, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

definitely don't want to resize a mounted partition. probably wouldn't
let you anyway.

Any ideas?

I used a knoppix cd which has QtParted on it. Nice graphical interface
and seems to handle just about any partition type for resizing.
obviously you need to back it up but good first! And watch out Knoppix
detects swap partitions and mounts them as swap automatically. If you're
going to be resizing your swap too, this could cause problems. you can
turn it of by specifying "noswap" on the boot line.

Thanks, I never thought of using a Knoppix CD.  I will download an iso and
try that.

I burned a Knoppix iso but it will not boot.

just to state the obvious, but did you burn it as an image and not as a file? in other words, if you mount the cd and ls, do you see a knoppix .iso? or do you see the folders and files contained in the .iso?
(such as "autorun.bat" and a "boot" folder and a "cdrom.ico" etc..
 The image is the correct size
and I checked the md5sum before I burned the image. The BIOS setting on the machine is fine because I am able to boot the machine off a Windows CD.
I might have to *buy* a CD if I can find one.

If you can boot a win cd and not the knoppix, then I'd guess its just not burned right. I'm embarrased to admit, though, that I've never burned a cd image in Linux, sooo... someone else jump in with instructions for burning an iso...

8)