Re: Mathematica on Debian

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

Has anyone successfully installed Mathematica 5.1 on Debian? Whilst competant at Solaris on Suns. since installing Debian on my x86 PC, I have not reallly had the chance to learn it too much from the point of view of admin.

But when I tried to install Mathematica 5.1, it complained about some old missing library (libc I think) and after 10mins or so I was unable to get the required library, as it seemed to be a newer version than I could download with app-get.

I did not spend much time on it, so installed Mathematica on a Windoze PC instead.

I have also installed Mathematica on a Sun running Solaris, and had no problems whatever on that. I wish Matlab was so easy - the license manager on that is designed to torture one!!

I just had Mathematica 5.1 installed on my Debian Sarge x86 PC last week. One of the sysadmins had to install it, but he didn't seem to do anything other than mount the CD and start the install program. Everything went smoothly after that.

I also have Matlab 7.01 installed on my pc. The installation was easy. I just needed to have a copy of the license file in the matlab directory and the floating license servers needed to be listed in the /etc/hosts file.

Sorry I don't have any direct solutions, but feel free to send more questions.

--Hannuman Bull