Re: stupid question

Quoting Roel Schroeven <rschroev_nospam_ml@fastmail.fm>:

> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>
> > Just out of curiosity, why do people still build kernels this way on
> Debian?
> > I know that I have asked this before, but I have not been able to figure
> out
> > why someone would use this error-prone tecnique?  There is a perfectly
> good
> > way (via kernel-package) to take any kernel source and produce a nice
> Debian
> > package that you can then install and have the system keep track of for
> you.
>
> I can't seem to remember exactly wuch arguments I should use, and how to
> prevent aptitude update && aptitude upgrade from overwriting my
> self-build kernel. Somehow I can remember more easily how to do it
> manually. Moreover, I know exactly what is going on at every stage of
> the process. When building a kernel the Debian way, I always have the
> feeling that the tools are doing too much magic that I don't understand.
>
> I don't really think the manual approach is that much more error-prone.
> In fact, I think I've had less problems with the manual approach.

You don't need any arguments to tell aptitude to not overwrite your self-built
kernel.  As long as you don't use The official Debian naming scheme (which
could be achieved with kernel-package by --append=-2-686 --revision=2.6.8-13;
that is the lates in Sarge BTW), you are fine and it will never overwrite
yours.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez