Re: Writing for Free Software Magazine?

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 17:07 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005, Lee Braiden wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 March 2005 19:23, Dave Ewart wrote:
> > > Erm, this is a printed publication which, if the poster is to be
> > > believed, is not yet breaking even.
> > >
> > > Just because the subject matter is free software, why should the product
> > > be free-of-charge?
> >
> > Who said it should?  Certainly not me.
>
> It should not be abusing the Debian MLs without contributing with the US$1k
> per commercial post either.  Enforcing this against them would be a weird
> position to take, but it still stands that they should not have done it
> without previous approval waving the fee by the DPL.

It seems to me that the original message was asking if anyone was
interested in writing an article about Debian as it has not been covered
in the magazine to date. I don't think that's commercial. Had the
message been something along the lines of "Click here to subscribe now
for the low low price of $19.99 + $399.99 S/H" then I could have seen a
problem with it. :)

But as it was, it was a message that happened to mention a commercial
product. We could no more call that a commercial message than we could
call a post from someone saying "Use crossover office if you really HAVE
to have MS Office in Debian" a commercial message. Just my $0.02.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837