Re: Application like dvdshrink or Nero Recode

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 11:01:53AM +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:
> When I buy DVDs for my kids, first thing I do is make a copy for two
> main reasons:
>
> 1) Store the original safely (mine are still little critters with
> horrible manners and dirty fingers .-<)
>
> 2) Crop away all the crap that is in front of the cartoon/movie,
> commercials, piracy notices, menus (not an intellignet feature on DVDs
> meant for pre-schools kids !!!) etc.
>
> Under XP I used DVDShrink and/or Nero Recode (which badly looks like a
> clone of the former).
>
> The functions I need is to be able to reauthor choosing the proper VOBs,
> selecting the proper languages only and sometimes clipping out segments.
>
> Any decent FLOSS alternatives ?
>
> TIA,
> Bob
Bob,
You might check out lxdvdrip
http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=Lxdvdrip and
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/lxdvdrip/
I don't know much about it, but it looks like it may do what you want
to do.  It doesn't have a Debian package, so you'd have to compile
from source.
Ric