Re: Acrobat 7.0 for linux is out

Toshiro wrote:
More on topic though, what's wrong with [xkg]pdf?

what's wrong?? let's see:

xpdf:  awfully slow! Have you tried to resize a xpdf window? I have an AMD64
3200+ and it behaves like an old 286 when I resize a xpdf window.

For me, quite the contrary.  I find xpdf much more lightweight and agile
than acroread (at least 5.0 series, haven't experimented too much with
7.0).  PDFs that would max the CPU for a couple of seconds (think PDF'd
powerpoints of 10s of MBs with lots of graphics) in acroread snap right
along in xpdf.

However, I like to keep acroread around for 2 reasons:

1. The plugin is integrated nicely with Mozilla and Firefox
2. I occasionally need to fill out gov't forms that are onky available
as fillable PDFs.

kpdf: no possibility of resize the document to fit width of the page.
          no searching capability.

No experience with it.

gpdf: I haven't used it for a long time, but if I remember correctly, it has
the same deficiencies than kpdf.

To me, it's not as good as xpdf.  I also occasionally had problems with
it replacing nice looking type1 fonts with ugly type3 fonts, while xpdf
on the same system with the same settings used the correct type1 fonts.
It was weird.  Though, that was ages ago (gnome 1.4 - 2.0 days).  I
understand it is greatly improved now.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez