KI-2.6.8-2-686 Upgrage And Modem Issuse

After upgrading to kernel-image 2.6.8-2-686 and reinstalling my hcfpci winmodem deb file, I can activate the modem, dial my ISP, conduct PAP
negotiations and get my local IP address and DNS servers assigned with a
real connection in process using wvdial as indicated by the online time posted
when I kill the process with cntrl C.  However, no transmissions take place.
If I use apt-get update, upgrade or anything requiring data transfer I get an error: to the effect-tempory error resolving URL. If I use my mozilla browser I get URL cannot be found, check the name and try again. It's obvious to me that the connection is there, but there is no communication between hosts.
Am I dealing with a bug or is there an easy fix as there was for my X-window
problem. The modem works fine when I bootup with my 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel using the same configuration files on wvdial, pon, pap-secrets, chap-secrets, etc. I'll appreciate any advice or suggested reading offered to solve this problem. It's the only issue I know to have to get a fully functioning system with the sarge kernel.
Thanks so much,
Leonard Chatagnier