Re: CD-RW as a removable "floppy"

On Mar 09 2005, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 March 2005 09:53 pm, Cage wrote:
> > The problem with using CDRW for a removable storage device is that it
> > can only be re written to about 15 times.
>
> I've heard different figures on this, but never as low as 15 times.  I've
> always heard more about 100 or so.  Have you heard or seen many sources
> that cite such a low number?  Or is it from your experience?

I am not Cage, but I agree with his statement.

I think that the 100 or even 1000 times you can write to a CD-RW is just
marketing speak. Speaking from experience, there were some cases where
after the 5th written session to the CD-RW, I couldn't read data anymore.

And using packet writing (just as an information to the original poster:
enable it with a recently enough kernel and use the package udftools) just
seems to wear the media more quickly.

Perhaps I have just had a bad experience and chosen bad media?  Who knows?

Just my 2 cents, Rogério.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at:
http://pub.tsn.dk/how-to-quote.php