Re: Nvidia 6600 GT and 6800 video cards and OpenGL apps crashing/Freezing Debian Sid

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 11:05:30PM -0500, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> Hi,
> Have others noticed problems with the new top of the line series of
> Nvidia graphics cards (6600 and 6800) and Opengl applications?
>
> I am running SId on a Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P Dual AMD MP  Motherboard
> with a Nvidia 6600 video card and I can reproducibly crash my PC by
> opening KDE Control Center and testing and then closing OpenGL screen
> savers.
>
> I am using the latest nvidia drivers
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run as well as trying the debian
> non-free versions to take advantage of patches that may have been
> applied on nvidia news boards.
>
> I am stuck. I have tried debian kernels 2.6.7 through         2.6.10
> and tried smp kernels and regular 386 vanilla debian kernels.
>
> Any one know what to do? I am currently using my machine via ssh, as
> I cant get startx without a crash soon after.
>
> Mitchell Laks

I get occasional crashes with my 5700 card, which I can attribute only
to one or more xscreensaver modules causing who knows what.  It's not
as reproducable as what you write of, but it happens.  I haven't yet
tried to determine which module causes it (I hope it's not the bouncing
cows...  ;-) but can stop it by simply disabling xscreensaver.

This obviously doesn't solve the problem behind the cause, but at least
it may be the way for you to handle it.  Just get along without the
savers and look for a fix upstream.  X will still shut down the screen
(APM/APIC).

I don't use KDE so have no recipe other than (generically) disable/
uninstall xscreensaver.

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,